HIA - Hyperspectral Image Analysis
The HIA program was developed by Francesco Masia and Wolfgang
Langbein to analyze hyperspectral images, specifically for the
application to coherent anti-Stokes Raman microscopy.
The details of the implemented algorithms are described in the
- Quantitative Chemical Imaging and Unsupervised Analysis Using
Hyperspectral Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Microscopy
F. Masia, A. Glen, P. Stephens, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, Anal.
Chem. 85, 10820 (2013). DOI
- Sparse sampling for fast hyperspectral coherent anti-Stokes
Raman scattering imaging
F. Masia, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, Opt. Express 22, 4021
- Hyperspectral image analysis for CARS, SRS, and Raman data
F. Masia, A.Karuna, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, J. Raman Spect.
46, 727 (2015) DOI
The program was used in the following papers
- Hyperspectral and differential CARS microscopy for
quantitative chemical imaging in human adipocytes
C. Di Napoli, I. Pope, F. Masia, P. Watson, W. Langbein,
P. Borri, Biomedical Optics Express 5, 1378 (2014) DOI
- Hyperspectral volumetric coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering
microscopy: Quantitative volume determination and NaCl as
A. Karuna, F. Masia, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, J. Raman Spect.
- Quantitative Spatiotemporal Chemical Profiling of Individual
Lipid Droplets by Hyperspectral CARS Microscopy in Living Human
Adipose-Derived Stem Cells
C. Di Napoli, I. Pope, F. Masia, W. Langbein, P. Watson, and P.
Borri Anal. Chem. (2016 DOI:
Please acknowledge the usage of the HIA software and cite our
Installing & Running the Hyperspectral Imaging Analysis
- Download the version of HIA you want to use from the below
list (the latest version is recommended).
- Extract all the files in a folder.
- The file “HIA.chm” is a help file with the instructions to use
the program and the description of the functions.
- The software is written in MATLAB, compiled for Windows 7
64bit, and requires a MATLAB run-time compiler to be installed.
The specific compiler version is given in the help file of the
- The library "minilzo.dll" (from version 2.4), the java class
“DropTargetList.class”, the "bioformats.package.jar" (from
version 2.3) and the parallel computing profile “HIA.settings”
must be in the same folder as the executable.
- To run the software, launch the batch file “run HIA.bat”. This
will open a cmd window which can show any MATLAB error occurred
during the analysis. Please use this feature to identify and
- Examples of Raman and CARS analysis are available, see links
below in the different versions.
Francesco Masia & Wolfgang
Langbein, 04/05/2015, updated 29/06/2015, 23/09/2015, 31/03/2016,